About the Event
More and more museums are committed to reflecting the world around them in their collecting practices. The objects and narratives that museums collect, display and explore, can be painful, controversial and contested. Here, we learn about a project aimed at collecting material relating directly to political developments and conflict, and the careful engagement of various community groups.
Karen Logan from National Museums Northern Ireland will present on ‘Collecting the Troubles and Beyond’. This will be followed by a Q&A session.
This Knowledge Exchange will encourage attendees to consider:
• The interpretation of challenging objects and narratives;
• Enabling conflicting voices to be heard;
• Questions around curatorial authority;
• Active collecting practices;
• Interpreting and displaying contested histories (and presents)Register online