About the Event
Climate Museum UK (CMUK) are an experimental museum that generates and curates creative responses to the Earth crisis. Founded in 2018 by Bridget McKenzie, CMUK has grown into a collective of creatives across the UK. Aligned in their principles, members organise activations to help people play, create, and talk about all aspects of the climate and ecological crisis. Focused on co-learning and conversation, CMUK work to open people’s imaginations to possible futures and build skills to turn ideas into positive realities.
Three online workshops of two hours duration have been arranged with Climate Officer, Alex Smith, for Scotland’s Museums:
- Grasping the situation: what is the Earth crisis?
- Eco Lens on Things
- Cultural Change in a Changing World
Together, they form a course that takes you through:
- learning about the urgent realities of the Earth crisis and its relationship to social issues and culture
- exploring how museum collections and programmes can engage with audiences around these issues
- anticipating museums in the future, in a changing world, and planning pathways of action for a resilient future.
You can sign up for all three workshops, treating it as a whole course. However you may feel that one or two of the sessions aren’t relevant to you so you can attend one or two only. Slides from each workshop can be made available so you can put your experience in context.
“Eco Lens on Things” is a creative session with group work to explore ways to interpret artefacts and sites in this time of Earth crisis, seeing through ecological lenses. Thinking of your own collections and sites, we will explore the following through exercises:
- How can all things be interpreted with an eco-lens, by putting a relevant slant on your collections that involves people and makes connections?
- How can people be engaged with new approaches to interpretation that grows their connection to nature?
- How can rethinking stories about your collections help us face the Earth crisis and inspire a sustainability shift?
Please note a teams invite will be sent to you nearer the time of the event.
Other workshops from this series:Register online