About the Role
The National Galleries of Scotland’s Retail Department is responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient management of the Galleries’ retail operation, which includes six main gallery shops, an online and mail order service, exhibition shops and kiosks, ticketing & promotional support, product development, buying and stock management.
As a member of our shop management team you will be responsible for leading a team of sales staff to meet sales targets whilst simultaneously focusing on enhancing visitor experience and ensuring first-class customer care.
- To exceed sales targets
- Provide excellent customer service, attaining 5* Visit Scotland Status
- Control cost budgets
- To recruit, manage, develop and motivate the retail team
- To manage the ticketing function of the exhibition programme including hiring and training staff and overseeing the daily operation of ticketing function.
- To set up and take down the ticketing and pop up shop operations, liaising with marketing, SVS, buying, the retail warehouse and estates as appropriate.
- Manage absence & sickness, labour turnover and staff retention.
- To ensure the security of NGS cash, stock, equipment and property within the shop.
- To carry out shop administration procedures and activities including maintaining records of stock transfers and adjustments, banking procedures and stock taking and records.
- To ensure that retail policies, standards and practices are communicated effectively to shop staff and that they are applied consistently.
- To build a strong relationship with the Buying, Ecommerce, Print on Demand and Image Supply teams to identify opportunities for sales growth.
- To work with the other shop managers and supervisors to create a cohesive retail shop floor team, working with the buying and warehouse teams to deliver comprehensive service 7 days a week for NGS visitors.
- To receive, check and price deliveries and ensure that stock is well maintained and securely stored.
- To monitor sales and customer feedback and provide information and reports to the Merchandiser and General Manager.
- To ensure shop layouts maximise shop performance while maintaining excellent standards of housekeeping and display.
- To ensure that the NGS Health and Safety at Work policies are observed within the shop and that requirements such as workplace risk assessments are effectively complied with.
- Drive marketing initiatives, including customer shopping events, email data capture, friends membership.
- To create a retail wide annual training calendar with the other shop managers with a focus on staff approach, product knowledge, selling skills, procedures and operational standards.
- To work with other departments to the achievement of the corporate vision and objectives of the NGS.
- On occasion to manage other shops as directed by the Merchandiser and GM.
- The operation of Gallery Shops that achieve planned sales and delivers excellent customer service and enhanced visitor experience that fully support the values, standards and corporate objectives of the NGS.
- The application of management and operational policies and systems that provide the basis for sound and effective planning, and the monitoring and control of sales and profitability within each shop.
- The application of effective and efficient rota and shop floor cover.
- The development of a skilled and committed group of shop staff motivated to achieve the performance targets and standards of the retail operation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The following range of knowledge skills and experience are required. Please ensure these are reflected in your application. Short listing for interview will be based on meeting these requirements.
- Experience of shop layout and product planning and monitoring
- Experience of applying customer care strategies in a retail environment
- Experience in managing and developing staff, and where appropriate disciplinary processes.
- Experience of retail administrative management systems and processes including product stock control and monitoring, ordering and reporting.
- Experience in the utilisation of IT systems in a retail environment
- Ability to manage a shop team applying good organisational and communication skills
- Ability to plan effectively to meet targets
- Ability to work corporately and contribute to the achievement of the overall aims and objectives
- Effective interpersonal skills
- High standards of accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexible approach to the job
- Knowledge and appreciation of art
- Previous experience of working within an arts and cultural environment
Please click link below for additional information on this postApply here