About the Event
Do you have responsibility for furniture collections? Would you like to develop your confidence in working with them? Would you like to learn the basics of identifying, caring for and using furniture collections?
This workshop will aim to develop the knowledge and practical skills required to handle, store, care for and display furniture collections. The day will focus in the main on British furniture, its history, development, associated terminology and use. The event will be structured around discussion of actual objects, which will also allow comment on handling, packing and issues of care.
Participants can be from any Scottish museum with collections in this area. The course is, however, not aimed at staff with in-depth knowledge of the subject area. Priority will be given to staff members who can immediately implement the knowledge gained in their organisation.
Following this workshop participants should:
- Have gained basic knowledge of how to catalogue furniture
- Have gained practical skills on how to handle, pack and move furniture safely
- Have gained knowledge on suitable storage and display conditions for furniture
- Have increased awareness of how to identify damage and pest infestations
- Know where to go for further information and advice