What is a Modern Apprenticeship?
A Modern Apprenticeship is a job which lets people earn a wage and gain an industry-recognised qualification. This opportunity is open to new and existing employees between the ages of 16 to 29 years old and they are a fantastic way to upskill and develop your workforce. The cost of undertaking a Modern Apprenticeships is fully funded.
The Modern Apprenticeship provides work-based learning opportunities that upskills staff while they continue their role. The benefits of this type of vocational learning can lead to greater financial stability for the organisation, flexible learning that is accessible to all and increased employability for staff.
Find out more about apprenticeships in Scotland.
What Modern Apprenticeships do MGS deliver?
Museum & Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship
The Museum & Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship is newly developed and our first Modern Apprentices started in February 2022. We are currently looking for organisations to host this apprenticeship. This national apprenticeship programme is an opportunity to progress either an existing employee or a new employee through an accredited qualification.
Museums and Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship involves the completion of SVQ 3 Museums and Galleries Practice at SCQF 7. Which is the equivalent of an Advanced Higher, HNC or first year of university and Core Skills at level 6, which is the equivalent of a Higher qualification. Through this apprenticeship, Learners will develop an understanding of the museums and galleries sector, demonstrating their competency through practical experience.
Find out more about the Museums & Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship
Some of the benefits of hosting a Museums & Galleries Technician Modern Apprentice in your organisation includes:
- Upskilling staff in core elements of museum practice including collections care and customer service.
- Attracting and retaining ambitious staff members by investing in their career progression.
- The delivery of high-quality projects which adhere to best practice.
Learn more about the Museums and Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship by attending one of our Question & Answer sessions (18th & 25th April). These sessions are aimed at potential host organisations and potential learners aged 16-29 who work at least 16 hours a week.
Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeship
MGS is approved by Skills Development Scotland to deliver Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeships and currently provide a limited number of apprenticeship spaces annually.
As part of the Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeship, the learner will complete a Diploma in Digital Marketing at SCQF level 6. This qualification demonstrates that the learner has underpinning knowledge in digital marketing.
Some of the benefits of hosting a Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeship in your organisation includes:
- Grow and reach new audiences
- Develop a professional social media presence and build a tailored online presence
- Up skill existing staff through supported coaching and mentoring
- Attract and retain talent to develop the workforce of the future
- Develop a marketing strategy
- Support new learning and employment opportunities for the sector
Interested to know more?
MGS would like to speak to employers who may be interested in hosting their own Modern Apprentice. We would be delighted to have an informal conversation about what is involved, and the support MGS can offer.
To discuss hosting or participating in the Museums and Galleries Technician Modern Apprenticeship contact Natalie Milor, MGS Skills Development Manager at NatalieM@museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk or 0131 550 4123
Employers wanting to know more about the Digital Marketing Modern Apprentice opportunities, please contact John Campbell, MGS Senior Skills Development Manager at JohnC@museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk or 0131 550 4131
Foundation and Graduate Apprenticeships are also available to explore to see if they work for your organisation.
Interested in becoming an apprentice? Find out more.
Modern Apprentices Blogs
Blogs from individuals who have completed the SVQ in Museums & Galleries Practice
Modern Apprentices Videos
- Keira Easton has created a video to share her experience of being a Business Administration Modern Apprentice at Museums Galleries Scotland. Keira shares why becoming an Apprentice was the right path for her, the skill's she's learnt and some of the projects she's worked on so far!
- Caitlin Meldrum, Visitor Services Supervisor at the University of St Andrews Museums - Wardlaw Museum, has made a video blog to tell us more about her experience as a Modern Apprentice.