MGS Conference 2017
The MGS conference aims to offer a cost effective platform through which Scotland’s museums and galleries can network and engage with practical and relevant content, helping the sector to develop and work towards delivering against the National Strategy aims and objectives.
The overarching theme of our 2017 Conference will be Inequalities: Bridging the Gap and it will focus on the work that museums are doing to address inequalities. The day will be organised around three sub-themes:
- Education: both formal and informal learning
- Health: including well-being
- Widening access: including involving and engaging communities
The programme for the day will consist of a mix of presentations, keynote and parallel sessions. The conference will create opportunities for knowledge exchange between museums and galleries and other sectors, so we would welcome submissions from people outside the museum sector, keen to share knowledge relevant to the conference themes, as well as from those within the sector.
There will be a marketplace of organisations that can support the museums sector.
Save the date
The conference will be held at the John McIntyre Conference Centre at Pollock Halls in Edinburgh on Thursday 12 October 2017.
Call for papers
The call for papers is now open and will close on 17 February 2017 at 5pm.
All sessions should showcase creative and efficient approaches or solutions to challenges faced.
When thinking about a session proposal, please consider the audience for your session and the session format, eg workshop, panel discussion, and indicate these in the offer of papers form.
Proposals should be submitted on the offer of papers form (see below) and sent to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 17 February 2017.
All contributions will be acknowledged and then evaluated by a panel. If you would like to discuss anything prior to submission please contact Heather Doherty, Research and Evaluation Manager by e-mail or on +44 (0)131 550 4127.
Please note that Museums Galleries Scotland will cover up to 2 free places for session speakers or up to 4 free places, including the Chair, for panel sessions.
If your paper is chosen
If your session proposal is chosen to be part of our conference programme, we will require you to provide the following additional assets by 1 July 2017:
- A blog post to give a flavour of your session (for use on mgsblog.org)
- A GIF image that represents your session visually (for use on twitter)
- A biography for all speakers in your session
- Sample tweets for us to use on our twitter feed (may be amended for length)
By submitting a paper, you also consent that you are:
- Happy to provide all of the above by the required deadline
- Willing to tweet in support of the session and the MGS Conference generally (if you're on twitter)
- Willing to display a promotional message for the MGS Conference on your email signature
If you would like to discuss promotional activity prior to submission please contact Hollie Wegner-Jaszkin, Marketing Manager by e-mail or on +44 (0)131 550 4119.
Please get in touch with our Conference Team if you have questions about the call for papers or the conference in general firstname.lastname@example.org