About the fund
This fund exists to support museums which hold the status of ‘working towards Accreditation’ to develop the standards necessary to achieve Accreditation.
Any museum which has been assessed as eligible to apply for Accreditation and assigned a temporary Accreditation reference number.
Eligible organisations can apply for between £150 and £1,500 from the fund. There is no match funding requirement.
£1,500 is the maximum amount any one organisation can receive through the fund - applicants can submit more than one application if they are applying for sums less than £1,500. However, once an applicant has received a total of £1,500 they cannot apply again. It is therefore important to ensure that you identify carefully your greatest funding need bearing in mind that some activities could fit the criteria for other funds whilst others may be more difficult to fund through other sources.
When to apply
This fund opens for applications at the start of the financial year and remains open throughout the year until the funds are used up. We will endeavour to respond to your application within 6 weeks of receiving it.
How to apply
If you would like to discuss and application before applying, please get in touch with our Investment Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0131 550 4115.
Apply now via MGS online
Your application will be assessed on whether or not your planned activity will help you to develop the standards required to achieve Accreditation.
What we can fund
We can fund purchases or projects such as:
- Environmental monitoring equipment
- Documentation systems
- Training to develop staff skills
- Contracting someone to carry out documentation work (although you should ensure that you retain these skills inhouse)
- Learning and Access resources
- Development of another form of interpretation, eg. audio-visual displays
This is not an exhaustive list, if you have queries as to whether we can fund other activities, please do get in touch with us.
What we can't fund
- Activity that is not related to achieving Accreditation standards
- Projects that have already started or purchases that have already been made
- Maintenance and like for like replacements
- Salaries for existing staff unless it can be clearly demonstrated that the work is additional to their normal hours
- Acquisitions for collections
Telephone: 0131 550 4115